Check out the video below, then read the additional details to know all you’ll need for the upcoming weekend!
We introduce to you, Event 4 – The Strongman…cause you can’t have a good CF Circus without one.
Please note specific standards below:
This workout is 3 lifts for total weight, with a 7 minute cap.
- 3-rep max power clean
- 2-rep max hang clean (squat or power position are fine)
- 1-rep max clean (squat or power position are fine)
The score is your teams successfully lifted weights, combined. At 3, 2, 1, go, athletes will have 7 minutes to complete 3 successful lifts. Each athlete selects one of the 3 lifts. Athletes are permitted to distribute time however they see fit, and help one another with weight throughout. Lifts must be done in order and for lifts 2 and 3, the starting weight may not be less than the successful weight completed on the lift prior. (Ex: Athlete 1 completes a successful 135 lb. 3-rep max power clean. Athlete 2 decides to add 20 lbs. and go for a 155 lb. 2-rep max hang clean. Athlete 2 fails. Athlete 2 is permitted to reduce weight, but no lower than the successful 135 lbs. used for the prior lift.) Also, if an athlete chooses to “warm-up” out of turn, that’s fine, but it does not count as a successful rep. (Ex: Athlete 1 completes a successful 135 lb. 3-rep max power clean. Athlete 3 wants a quick 1-rep warm-up at that weight. Totally fine, but it does not count as a successful 1-rep max number because it’s out of turn. Athlete 2 must complete a weight equal or greater than 135 lbs for the 2-rep max hang clean, THEN athlete 3 can begin to earn successful lifts). Athletes MUST state weight to judge prior to lift and judge will confirm.
Standards for movements are as follows:
- 3-rep max power clean: Weight must come from floor for each rep and the catch must be above the 90 degree squat position. Athlete must stand and show complete knee and hip extension with elbows in front of bar for a good rep. Athlete must maintain contact with the bar throughout the 3-rep max, and it’s expected to be a tap and go movement. Rest must be at the top of the lift or at hips (no re-set or pause on the ground). If athlete gets a no-rep but still has the bar in hand, they can do a 4th good rep to make it count.
- 2-rep max hang clean: Weight must first be deadlifted (a complete deadlift extended at the top) with a pause at the top, then athlete descends to hang position ABOVE the knees. The catch may be in a squat OR power position. Athlete must stand and show complete knee and hip extension with elbows in front of bar for a good rep. Athlete must maintain contact with the bar throughout the 2-rep max. If athlete gets a no-rep but still has the bar in hand, they can do a 3rd rep to make it count.
- 1-rep max hang clean: Weight must come from the floor and the catch can be in either squat OR power position. Rep is complete when athlete stands with full knee and hip extension and elbows in front of barbell. If you decide to hang clean it, by all means.
Side note, split cleans (though not pretty) are permitted but feet must be brought back together.
Lift heavy things. See you soon.